This recipe may sound too healthy, but it’s actually really tasty on the side of a piece of meat, or even as the main course with a side of salad.
INGREDIENTS AND METHOD
1/2 Pound of Brussel Sprouts – trimmed and cut into slices
1 Broccoli Bushel – cut into small bite size pieces
1 Cup of Sharp Cheddar
2 Tbsp. of flour
2 Cups of Milk (I use Skim)
1 Yellow Onion – chopped
4 Slices of Bacon (cut into strips)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. In a medium sized pot add a glug of olive oil and a knob of butter. Add the onions and bacon and allow to caramelize and cook down. About 10-15 minutes
3. Add the broccoli and brussel sprouts and cover for 10 minutes.
4. Transfer the broccoli and brussel sprout mixture to a baking dish.
5. In the same pot add another generous knob of butter, and add flour. Stir together until the “roux” becomes a light caramel colour. Add the milk and cheese and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Pour the cheese sauce over top of the brussel sprout, broccoli mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle some more cheddar on top and cover with aluminum foil. Place in oven for 20 minutes.
7. Uncover the baking dish for the last 8 minutes and allow the cheese to crisp. Remove from the oven serve and enjoy!