There is nothing more comforting than a hot bowl of soup, and maybe a crostini or two (or three)! This recipe is so easy to make and is very healthy for you (especially since tomatoes contain compounds that help prevent cancer).
2 Pounds of your favourite kind of tomato (mix different varieties, cherry tomatoes and vine tomatoes for example)
3 Cloves of Chopped Garlic (1 clove for crostini, 2 cloves for the tomatoes)
2 Cups of Fresh Basil (Torn into thumb size pieces)
Fresh Baguette, cut into crostini
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400° F
2. Cut up the larger tomatoes, and leave the smaller ones whole. Place them into a bowl and coat with olive oil, chopped garlic (2 cloves), basil, and salt and pepper
3. Place on a large baking dish that has a contour to it, you don’t want the juices spilling all over the oven and you really want to keep as much of the juice as you can, that’s what we call LOVE (you’ll need it for the soup)
4. Roast the tomatoes in the oven for about 40 minutes, until they are tender and start to caramelize.
5. Place the crostinis onto a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, 1 chopped garlic clove and salt and pepper and put aside
6. Take the tomatoes out of the oven and allow to cool slightly.
7. Place everything in a food processor and liquify until smooth (add 1/4 cup of water at a time if necessary to get the right consistency). Place into a large pot and allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes while you pop your crostini into the oven. Once the crostini are ready, so is your soup.